Australian Embassy

Frequently Asked Questions


What if I need to travel unexpectedly due to an emergency?

  • Please apply for an emergency passport as soon as. We can generally issue an emergency passport within 2 working days. If you need to travel more quickly, please call us to discuss your situation. 

Will I lose Australian citizenship if my passport expires? 

  • No. The status of your passport has no effect on your Australian citizenship. 

Will I have to complete a longer application form if my passport expires? 

  • It depends.  Adults may have to complete a longer form (full application) if they wait longer than 3 years to renew their passport after it expires.  

What if I am unable to travel to your office?

  • You may be able to apply for a passport renewal by mail. Please check if you meet the criteria to renew your passport by mail here

Do I have to replace my temporary/ emergency passport in person at your office?

  • Yes.  If you are issued a temporary or emergency passport, you must lodge a new application using the PC8 Application for an Australian Passport Overseas form (not the renewal form, PC7) in person at our office.  For child applications, the application must be lodged at an office in the country where the child is physically located. 

Do I need six months validity on my passport to travel?

  • It depends. If you are travelling directly from Vietnam to Australia, your Australian passport must be valid (not expired) on the date you arrive in Australia. If your passport expires while you are in Australia, you can apply for a new passport in Australia.
  • If you are transiting through a third country or travelling to another county than Australia, you can review the entry/exit requirements for your transit or intended destination on Australia's Smartraveller website.