Vietnam -Australia Food Safety Forum
Australian food safety experts will visit Vietnam to share Australian knowledge and experience with Vietnamese officials and industry during the Vietnam-Australia Food Safety Forum in Hanoi on 11 November.
“Australia is a leading supplier of premium food and agricultural produce to the world that is well known for its ‘clean, green and safe’ reputation. Its diverse food and agricultural sector is underpinned by the best-practice safety standards, systems and processes that ensure that Australian food products and beverages are trusted by people all over the world,” said Australian Ambassador HE Mr Hugh Borrowman.
“As well as offering premium products, Australia is also a trusted partner providing other countries with the technical assistance they need to enhance their own domestic production.
“By transferring some of this expertise to Vietnam, Australia can support the Vietnamese government as it makes improvements to food safety standards, modernises food processing industries, and delivers health and economic benefits to the country”.
The forum will provide an opportunity for the Australian and Vietnamese delegates to:
• understand and share information about food safety management processes in Australia and Vietnam
• explore the challenges and issues around implementing food safety systems, technology and processes
• share best practice in food safety from Australia
• identify areas for future collaboration in food safety to build the capability and capacity of the Vietnamese food and agricultural industries.
The delegation of experts from Australia includes keynote speaker Dr Marion Healy, Chief Scientist and Deputy CEO of Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ). According to Dr Healy, “Australia has a contemporary, integrated and transparent food regulatory system that protects the health and safety of consumers by reducing risks related to food. This system:
• allows consumers to make informed choices about food
• supports public health objectives
• underpins a strong and sustainable food industry that delivers economic benefits to Australia”.
Following presentations on Vietnam and Australia’s respective food safety systems and practices, the forum will include roundtable discussions on approaches to implementing quality control and safety standards across diverse categories of food including seafood, dairy, meat, grains and horticulture.
The forum, which will be held at the Sheraton Hanoi, is hosted by the Australian Embassy Vietnam in partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
For further information, please contact the Australian Embassy at [email protected]