Visas and Migration
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) at the Australian Embassy in Hanoi and the Australian Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City processes most visa applications and some citizenship applications for residents of Vietnam and Laos. The information in this website is meant as supplementary, country specific information to that contained in the main DIBP website - www.border.gov.au.
Notice to all Visa Applicants
Please lodge your visa application well before your intended date of travel, see: Application processing times. Requests for urgent processing of visa applications will only be considered in exceptional circumstances and on a case by case basis.
You should not book flights or make travel commitments until you have a visa to travel to Australia. The department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa application was finalised later than expected or where an application is unsuccessful.
DEADLINE FOR LODGEMENT DURING THE VIETNAMESE NEW YEAR PERIOD AND NEW SCHOOL YEAR IN AUSTRALIA - VISITOR, TEMPORARY WORK AND STUDENT VISAS.
The Australian Embassy and Australian Consulate-General in Vietnam will be closed over the Vietnamese New Year (January 2017) period.
If you are planning to travel to Australia during this time or intend on commencing studies in Australia in February 2017, the deadline for lodgement is:
- Visitor (subclass 600) and Temporary Work (subclass 400) visa applications - Friday 23 December 2016
- Student (subclass 500) and Student Guardian (subclass 590) visa applications – Friday 13 January 2017
For applications lodged after these dates for travel during these peak periods, the Visa Office may be unable to guarantee a decision before your intended date of travel.
- Welfare arrangements for students under 18 and Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- New sponsor requirements for Partner and Prospective Marriage visa applications - from 18 November 2016
- Member of the Family Unit definition change - from 19 November 2016
- Proposed changes to Temporary Activity Visas including the subclass 400 visa – from 19 Nov 2016
- Introduction of new Australian Visa Application Centre in Danang - from 28 October 2016
- Important Notice about Student visas - from 1 October 2016
- Online visa lodgement
- Tuberculosis (TB) warning for international students
- Current scams you should be aware of – migration fraud
- APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Fees & Application Forms
The current fee and application form for visas is available on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website. Fees and Charges
Visa and Citizenship Options
- Find a Visa - Australian Visa Wizard
- Temporary Work
- Temporary Activity
- Work and Holiday
- Skilled Work
- Family Migrants
- Returning Residents
- Where to Apply
- Document Checklists
- After you apply
- Fees and Charges
- Application Processing Times
- Australia's Health Requirements
- Biometrics Collection for Visa Applicants in Vietnam
- Visa labels
- Migration fraud
- Contact us
We value your feedback, compliments, complaints or suggestions. See: Provide Feedback
Last updated 12 January 2017