Australian Embassy

Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)

Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)


General Information

The Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) allows Vietnamese participants to

  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months
  • work in Australia, generally for up to six months with each employer
  • study for up to four months
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid
  • apply for a second Work and Holiday visa if you have worked for three months in northern Australia in tourism and hospitality or agriculture, forestry and fishing.

The program year commences on 1 July each year and ends on 30 June the following year. There is a limit of 200 first Work and Holiday visas granted to Vietnamese passport holders during this program year.

Australian Citizens: As this is a reciprocal arrangement, Australian citizens are able to apply for a Work and Holiday Visa to Vietnam. There are 200 places allocated for every program year.  For more information on the program and the visa application process, please directly contact the Vietnamese Embassy in Australia (see or the Department of Employment (DOE), Ministry of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs of Vietnam (MOLISA) (see At this time more information can also be obtained from the Australian Embassy in Hanoi via

Application process for Vietnamese citizens

  • Step 1: Apply to the Department of Overseas Labour (DOLAB), Ministry of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs of Vietnam (MOLISA) for a Letter of Recommendation to support your visa application

             See:  DOLAB's website at

              See: Where to apply

Document checklist for Vietnamese citizens

See: Document checklist - Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)

Fees and charges

A list of current fees and charges for a Visitor visa is available at the Department of Home Affairs website.

See: Fees and charges

Application form

See: Application forms 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

See: Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) - FAQs

 Quick links

For more information please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website

Back to the top of page

 Last updated 27 November 2018