Position Description – Communications Assistant
Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research - ACIAR
ACIAR Assistant Country Manager
The Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) is an Australian Government organization, specializing in agricultural research for development. ACIAR brokers and funds research partnerships between Australian scientists and their counterparts in developing countries.
ACIAR headquarters are in Canberra, Australia and has 10 regional/country offices in the Asia-Pacific and Africa region. ACIAR's office in Hanoi has the responsibilities for the effective delivery of the ACIAR program in Vietnam. The office provides support to ACIAR-managed collaborative research and development partnerships through liaison, coordination, representation, stakeholder management and administrative activities.
Further information is available on our website at http://aciar.gov.au.
The Communications Assistant position
The Communications Assistant is responsible for the development and rolling out of ACIAR Vietnam’s communications strategy, and support ACIAR in Vietnam and its Headquarters in Canberra in the development and promotion of communications products (including but not limited to printed and electronic publications, promotional materials, media and social media).
The Communications Assistant will coordinate ACIAR Vietnam’s communications activities, build and maintain good relationships with ACIAR Vietnam’s stakeholders as well as local media.
The Communications Assistant will work within the ACIAR Vietnam team at the Australian Embassy Hanoi. This position is on a full-time contractual basis, for an initial period of 12 months and with possible extension.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Coordinate the implementation of ACIAR Vietnam’s annual communications plan
- Plan and lead the production of ACIAR Vietnam’s newsletters, web information, social media products and related publications
- Interact with ACIAR projects’ and Australian Embassy’s communications focal points to line up ACIAR Vietnam’s communications activities with those of projects and the Embassy; Undertake travel to ACIAR project sites, as necessary, and facilitate the collection/ production of stories, interviews, photos and videos
- In collaboration with ACIAR’s Outreach team in Canberra (OCB), support the Vietnam office in rolling out communications activities in the country and region
- Provide outreach support for events organized by ACIAR and in which ACIAR is participating
- Facilitate media relations including: drafting press releases, organizing media visits to projects sites and building a strong in-country media network and database
- Provide support to the office when required (including admin and regular day-to-day office tasks).
- Excellent communication skills in English and Vietnamese (both verbal and written)
- At least 2 years of professional experience in communications or related development work, preferably in Vietnam
- University degree in communications, journalism, marketing or other related fields
- Experience with and knowledge of graphic design applications and programs, digital photography and editing is an advantage
- Experience in producing communications products (paper-based, web-based and/or radio, television)
- Experience working with the media and sound knowledge of social media tools
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to multitask, plan and carry out tasks systematically
- Previous experience or working in international development or agriculture is an advantage
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues within a multicultural team environment, as well as stakeholders to achieve organisational goals of ACIAR.
Interested candidates can send their expression of interest and CVs to email@example.com by COB 25 November 2018.