Australian Embassy


Information about migration agents operating outside Australia

Advice for visa applicants

It is important to remember that you do not need to use a migration agent when lodging a visa application. A migration agent cannot influence nor predetermine the outcome of your application, nor can they fast-track its processing.

The majority of applications processed by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) are not lodged by migration agents.

However, if you do not feel confident in lodging a visa application, or if your case is complex, you may wish to use a registered migration agent.

It is a legal requirement that migration agents operating in Australia are registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (Office of the MARA). Some migration agents registered in Australia have practices in other countries. You can search for registered agents on the Office of the MARA website at

Lodging of applications

You can lodge an application directly or have a representative lodge an application on your behalf. DIAC accepts all applications presented, regardless of who lodges them.

Information on visas, the application process, and details of how and where to lodge applications in Vietnam are available at and

Choosing to use a migration agent

If you wish to engage a migration agent, DIAC recommends using an agent registered with the Office of the MARA.

If you suspect your Office of the MARA registered agent is engaging in criminal behaviour, you should advise your local DIAC office. Other complaints about Office of the MARA registered agents can be made at

If you wish to use an unregistered agent outside of Australia, make sure you understand what you can reasonably expect from them and know your options if the agent acts incompetently, dishonestly or fraudulently.

If you suspect an unregistered migration agent is engaging in criminal behaviour, you should report them to your local law enforcement authority and inform your local DIAC office at the Australian Embassy in Hanoi or Consulate-General in Ho Chi Minh City.


  • You do not need to use a migration agent. 
  • If you choose to use a migration agent, use one that is registered.
  • DIAC recommends you use a migration agent registered in Australia.

More information is available at

Created 21 January 2010