Australian Embassy

Transit Visa


Transit Visa

Non-Australian citizens transiting Australia to another country or passing through Australia to join a ship as crew must obtain a visa overseas before travelling to Australia.

A transit visa is required even if a traveller remains on the same aircraft in the same airport.

The relevant visa is Transit visa (subclass 771), which is free of charge and allows the holder to enter and remain in Australia for up to 72 hours.

See: Transit Visa Requirements

A detailed information sheet and checklist is available to assist applicants in completing the visa application process in Vietnam.

See: Transit Visa Checklist

Maritime Crew Visa 

Sea crew arriving in Australia are required to hold a Maritime Crew Visa (MCV).

A fine of AUD$ 5,000.00 may be issued to the ship's Master or agent for every foreign crew member in breach of the requirement. In addition, crew will be restricted on board the vessel while it is in Australia.

Apply now

To apply for a Maritime Crew Visa, visit:

To check if crew hold an MCV

Use the online MCV Status Enquiry facility

Crew travelling to Australia by air

The MCV is not valid for travel to Australia by air. Crew travelling by air to join their ship need another visa, such as an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), Transit Visa, Tourist Visa, or Short stay Business Visa, to travel to Australia as an airline passenger. They must also hold an MCV to sign onto the ship.

Note: Crew mush hold an MCV before applying for a Transit Visa to fly to Australia.


Last updated 22 July 2011