The Embassy of Australia in Hanoi is looking for a talented and energetic individual to fulfil the position of Strategic Communications Specialist.
Working for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and reporting to the First Secretary (Political), the successful applicant will be the key advisor to both the Ambassador in Hanoi and the Consul-General in Ho Chi Minh City on all strategic communications issues. The position manages the work of the Strategic Communications Unit and will be responsible for the delivery of the ‘Australia in Vietnam’ communications strategy.
Applicants should have tertiary qualifications in a related field and strong experience in communications, public relations and event management.
The successful applicant will be employed on a full-time contract for an initial period of 12 months. The monthly gross salary will be between VND48,000,000 and VND57,000,000 depending on experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for this position must include:
- A written statement outlining the applicants abilities and directly addressing the requirements of the position (no more than two pages typed);
- A curriculum vitae (no longer than three pages); and
- Details of two referees who may be contacted if necessary.
Applications should be emailed as a single file in Microsoft Word or PDF formats only to email@example.com by 5:00pm (Hanoi Time) on 28 February 2017.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Advise the Ambassador and Consul-General HCMC on the most effective means to communicate Australia’s strategic objectives in its relationship with Vietnam, including in policy priorities on economics, security and innovation.
- Plan, develop, implement and evaluate coordinated strategic communications strategies, including activities and projects, e-diplomacy and digital media, to increase public understanding and appreciation of Australia’s engagement in Vietnam.
- Work closely with Embassy Section Heads in Hanoi and the Consulate-General in HCMC to provide high level support and identify opportunities and issues; provide strategic advice to attached agencies in support of the Embassy’s policy objectives and advocacy work.
- Develop and nurture a set of high level and influential external contacts in the media industry to work with in communicating Australia’s strategic objectives
- Identify opportunities and drive innovative approaches to strategic communications involving Australian Government departments, the Government of Vietnam, international and national media as well as other key external stakeholders.
- Identify and leverage opportunities arising from high-profile current affairs and relevant policy issues in Australia and Vietnam to effectively communicate Australia’s strategic messages.
- Manage Public Diplomacy events, budget and resources, and report on the event as appropriate.
- Manage the Strategic Communications Unit at the Embassy including supervising two LE5 staff, including planning and monitoring work processes, setting performance agreements, providing performance feedback and coaching and facilitating a team environment.
- Oversee website content and the production of publications and promotional materials, building the capacity of the team and maximising engagement opportunities.
- Monitor Vietnamese language media, report and respond where appropriate and maintain up-to-date information on key media figures, organisations and media landscape.
- Coordinate media arrangements for visiting Ministers, senior government representatives and other prominent Australians, and other Public Diplomacy events and facilitate media coverage
- Prepare and/or edit media releases; write speeches, organise media interviews and press briefings; manage and coordinate appropriate media relations activities.
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant field (e.g. communications, public relations, marketing or journalism) and experience in strategic communications and public relations;
- A demonstrated high-level understanding of contemporary Vietnamese media, social media, and cultural environment;
- A demonstrated understanding, or ability to quickly acquire an understanding, of Australian Government priorities in Vietnam;
- The ability to work autonomously and lead a diverse team to deliver results;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and should speak fluent English;
- including fluent English language ability; and
Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to cultivate strong professional networks.
THE AUSTRALIAN EMBASSY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER